In 1989 V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University (previously named O.M. Gorkiy Kharkiv State University) launched training of specialists in environmental sciences, then training was continued at the School of Ecology (founded in 2007). In 2019, the School of Ecology was transformed into Karazin Institute of Environmental Sciences.
Karazin Institute of Environmental Sciences provides professional training on the specialty 101 “Ecology” for BSc and MSc students as well as training for PhD students in the field “Earth Sciences”.
In 2021-2022 academic year new educational programs “Environmental Control and Audit”, “Protected area management” and “Environmental Safety” were open for both BSc and MSc levels. Students are trained on the MSc program “Ecogeochemistry of Oil and Gas” together with the School of Chemistry and the School of Geology, Geography, Recreation and Tourism – the MSc program was developed in the framework of the project with Shell Company.
The institute consists of three departments:
- Ecology and neoecology,
- Ecological safety and environmental education,
- Environmental monitoring and protected area management;
and three laboratories:
- Educational and scientific laboratory of analytical environmental research (has the Certificate on conformity of system of measurements – according to DSTU ISO 10012: 2005);
- Educational and scientific laboratory of Ecological and toxicological research (has the Certificate on conformity of system of measurements – according to DSTU ISO 10012: 2005);
- Educational laboratory for digital technologies and information support.
In order to assure the compliance of modern environmental education with the requirements of the labor market we involved leading experts from specialized research institutions, consulting companies, NGOs and environmental government agencies in the planning and organization of our educational process as well as for providing practical training for students.
Students and teachers constantly participate in the implementation of various international scientific and educational projects, in organization of international and national conferences (3-4 conferences annually). Currently, 4 international projects are implementing. Under double degree programs and other forms of international cooperation, students annually study or do internships at leading European universities.
More detailed information see here: http://ecology.karazin.ua/